Monday, January 12, 2015

"My Precious.."

Today I'm going to talk to you about one of my favourite type of makeup products.   I'm going to talk to you about setting sprays.

Makeup setting sprays (like any other kind of makeup) come in a variety of formulas all tailored to a specific function.  For example, they can be used to prolong the life of the makeup you've applied, to take away a powdery finish or to mattify an oilier skin type. The idea of setting your makeup with some sort of spray isn't a new one.  A common "insider" tip that has lingered for years was to just set your face with actual hairspray!

Thankfully since brands have caught on to the popularity and products have been updated a bit since then, there are many on the market for not only makeup artists but for even the most casual of makeup fans out there.  If you're interested in reading about some of my favourites, then settle in!






(Apologies for the low quality, technical issues with a camera at the moment)


Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray - Retails for 36$
What is it? : A weightless setting spray that keeps makeup looking just-applied for up to 16 hours.

Urban Decay's All Nighter was one of the first makeup setting sprays I tried and while we should take all makeup claims with a grain of salt, I actually really love this spray. Created by a partnership with Skindinavia, UD's All Nighter is paraben-free and good for all skin types.  To apply simply mist 3-5 times on your face after applying your makeup.

What I like about it is it actually does live up to the claims of prolonging my makeup.  Between work and commuting, I need my makeup to last upwards of 10 hours a day.  When I apply UD All Nighter,my blush and foundation are still visibly there, having only worn off around my nose and mouth.  This can also take away the powdery look some finishing powders can leave your skin with.


Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix - Retails for 34$
What is it? : A universal setting spray that locks in makeup and keeps color fresh.

Make Up Forever's Mist & Fix is pretty similar in its claims to UD's All Nighter.  It's supposed to prolong the makeup that you've applied and set it for a much more natural finish. 

What I do find with MuFE's is that it is a bit more moisturizing which can be a blessing or a curse.  Formulated without alcohol, it has what I (as an oilier skinned person) would call a dewier finish.  Equally as beautiful, but I tend to shine up mid day and need to blot more.  Makeup still lasts upwards of 10 hours.

Skindinavia's Makeup Finishing Spray (original) -
What is it? : A lightweight, breathable mist to set liquid and powder makeup and holds your makeup in place for up to 16 hours.

Skindinavia's Makeup Finishing Spray, for me, wears extremely similar to UD's All Nighter.  Not really a surprise, as Skindinavia was part of the creator for the UD version. 

I do however find myself with my makeup wearing for a little longer with Skindinavia's version when compared to UD's version.  I also find it a little more drying on my skin so I don't need to blot or powder as much.  Makeup again still lasts upwards of 10 hours, with minor wearing on my nose and chin.


While these three are my favourites, I do have some honorable mentions:

MAC Fix + - Sets makeup nicely, is not meant to make it last longer.
Caudalie Beauty Elixir - Makes my skin look the nicest, extremely strong and long lasting smell.
Graftobian Makeup Setting Spray - Alcohol based, long lasting but strong smell.


What are your favourites?









No comments:

Post a Comment